Graphics design is a rapidly growing field in Nigeria, with an increase of over 45% in the population of Lagos, the country’s most populous city. The demand for top-notch graphic design work is increasing at a rapid pace, and there is no sign that this rate will slow down anytime soon.
This post is all about graphics design job opportunities in Nigeria. We will discuss the salary as well as some tips to have an edge over your competition and land that perfect design gig in Lagos, Abuja, or any of the other rapidly growing cities throughout Africa.
Now, let’s get started.
What is Graphic Design?
I have recently asked my friend and fellow graphic designer, Victor, how he defines graphic design. He said: “Graphics design is the art of putting together the design of your visuals into an expression of your message.” To sum it up, graphics design is the art of using aesthetics to illustrate what you want to say or convey. As a graphic designer, you must use texture and appeal in your designs without losing the essence of your message or throwing off the interest and attention of anyone who reads them.
How Do I Start a Graphic Design Career?
Unless you have been living under a rock for the past 7 years, you will have heard at least once about isometric sketching. It is an amazing tool to use when designing! You can also create your own personal logo using Photoshop.
That’s awesome, but most people interested in graphic design don’t know what kind of work they would like to do. So I’ve compiled a list of popular job titles that are both well-paying and in high demand among graphic designers.
Graphic designers create a visual narrative to promote, sell, persuade, and entertain. They work with the client to understand what their goals are, how they want their message to be conveyed, and the most effective way of doing so. They are the only ones who can create a visual framework that supports your story’s content and message.
Many graphic designers become cinematographers and video editors after having completed their degree in design.
The art director is the backbone of any company, as he helps your company stand out from other organizations that have similar products or services for sale in their niche market. The art director’s job is to ensure that your company looks, sounds, and feels like a viable competitor in the market. Especially when you are entering new markets, trying to sell different products and services, or when you want the client to share a similar public image with your company, which would make them look like one big tribe, the art director is one of your most important people.
Graphics appear to be becoming more difficult to create as technology advances.Graphic design has become as complicated as having to use auto scale and resize on Photoshop when scaling images for print or any other medium. It has made working with images extremely convenient for designers, making it easier for them to edit and manipulate images in any way they see fit. Therefore, it is clear that graphic design is in high demand and that it has become one of the most in-demand skills on the market.
The creative director, sometimes referred to as a “visual storyteller,” is the person who tries to “tell the story.” He or she develops, designs, sells, and implements with others every aspect of a marketing campaign—the name of the campaign, tone of voice, product placement—so that your company becomes recognized for its brand by promoting itself as a distinctive brand through whatever medium. Essentially, your creative director’s goal is to make sure that you have an image that sticks out among other companies in your industry, making it harder for your competitors to reach potential clients.
How to Find Graphics Design Job Opportunities in Nigeria
Here are steps to finding graphics design job opportunities in Nigeria:
- Search on Google, Yahoo, Bing, and other search engines
- Find relevant websites like designjobs.com.
- Upload your CV online by creating an online profile or a portfolio.
- Add links to your profile on LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter for networking opportunities.
- Create a professional website detailing your work experience, such as on WordPress or Squarespace.com.
- Share your work via social media as well as emailing it to companies in Nigeria.
- Visit the local university’s career office and speak with their staff members about their job listings.
- Go to networking events where you can meet creative professionals and talk about potential job opportunities.
- Follow up with the contact person about your interest in the job.
- Do not lower your price for a job opportunity, as this would work against you when looking for future opportunities.
- Get out there and socialize! Attend events, conferences, and seminars.
These are some of the most important steps you can take if you are looking for a job in graphic design. Do not be discouraged if you do not get any response at first; it is a competitive industry, and it will take time contacting people before someone has an opportunity to use your services. Be patient and stay loyal.
Benefits of Working as a Graphics Designer in Nigeria
Here are some benefits of working as a graphics designer:
- can work with any skill set
- Develop a unique portfolio
- Easy access to publishing options in Nigeria
- Great experience is needed to enter the industry.
- Start as a junior designer and scale up if you’re successful.
- Prove your creativity.
- Build a strong network of publishing companies.
- Get to know other designers.
- can get freelance work from anywhere in Nigeria.
- You can advance your career as long as you work hard on it.
- Meet with a lot of designers and people in the creative industry.
- Be inspired by their works.
- Learn from the best graphic designers in Nigeria. There is a list of famous graphic design firms below. You can check them out if you want to contact them for employment or projects.
- Get flexible hours that can be combined with other jobs or business activities.
Working as a graphics designer in Nigeria is a great way to learn new skills, develop your portfolio, and have the ability to fine-tune your skills on projects. The industry is still developing, so there are lots of opportunities for growth. This could prove an excellent long-term career option for anyone willing to put in the hard work.
There are numerous benefits to working as a graphic designer in Nigeria.This person would be able to work as a freelancer or for an established company. They will have plenty of work and can design products for individuals and businesses both here in Nigeria and abroad. The potential is endless, and the rewards are great. Graphics designers have a lot to offer their clients, as well as themselves; with so many opportunities available, it’s really no wonder why people continue to enter this profession year after year.
This career field can be very dynamic, and those who are successful are the ones who take advantage of the opportunities that are laid out before them. To succeed, a graphics designer will have to have a genuine interest in the arts as well as an eagerness to solve problems. In addition, this person will also need perseverance so they can continue working on projects until they are successfully completed.
The pay and benefits are great in the world of graphic design, but it is important to have patience and time management skills so projects can be completed on time. This job requires a lot of hard work and determination; however, it’s still one of the best options available for those interested in pursuing a career in graphic design.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do graphic designers get clients in Nigeria?
Sites like Fiverr, Upwork, 99Designs, and more help freelance designers connect with clients. You would need to really understand the platforms, make sure you read the rules and regulations, or terms and conditions. It pays to be reliable as a designer and meet the clients’ demands wherever they are.
How much does a graphic designer make in Nigeria?
Salary range for the majority of workers in Graphic and multimedia designers – from ₦34,608 to ₦179,414 per month – 2023. A Graphic and multimedia designers typically earns between ₦34,608 and ₦127,969 net per month at the start of the job.