How to start a POS business with Access bank –– An excellent way of entering into the world of entrepreneurship is starting a Point of Sale (POS) business. It is a lucrative venture that has witnessed massive adoption in the country over the years. Starting a POS business provides you the opportunity to offer valuable services to other businesses/individuals and this can be quite rewarding. Especially with the high demands for POS systems and the digitization of more business operations.
While starting a POS Business is an excellent option, however, choosing the right bank partner is a critical step. Access bank is among the top financial institutions in Nigeria that offer favorable services to entrepreneurs. It is a good bank partner option for a POS business because they offer various POS terminals suitable for a variety of businesses. You can have access to a merchant account, which is valuable for accepting payments from customers in a secure way. So, are you interested in starting a POS business? Read on to get familiar with how to start a POS business with Access bank.
What Is A POS Business?
A POS Business involves a payment system where businesses or individuals can execute the payment of services or goods in a secured and convenient way. The transaction can be conducted in-person or online and the receipts are immediately generated either electronically or printed. As a POS agent, you earn per each transaction performed by the customers. You can also earn commissions from the POS service provider. Depending on your location, trust, and marketing strategy, a POS business can be quite profitable. Without further ado, let’s look at the step-by-step guide on how to start a POS business with Access bank.
How To Start a POS Business With Access Bank
Starting a POS business with Access bank is a straightforward process. Below in this section, we bring you a comprehensive guide on how to go about it.
1. Research the cost of starting a POS business in your location
The first step towards starting your POS business with Access bank is to determine the cost of starting it in your desired area. The cost of starting a POS business differs by location. You will need to consider the initial working capital (which is N50,000 for access bank), the amount you will pay for a workspace or shop, etc.
2. Choose a suitable location for your POS business
For a successful business, you should choose a location that has a huge population. It should be a place that has a lot of people who find it difficult to access banks or ATMs. Meanwhile, below are tips to help you choose a suitable location for your POS business;
- Consider the number of POS businesses in the location. You should find an area with a minimum level of competition.
- Ensure that your target market is in the location you intend to set up your business
- Get a location that has a lot of foot activities such as a busy street or a shopping center
- The location should be accessible
- It should be easily located
- Consider the cost of rent and choose a location that’s within your budget
3. Write down an efficient business plan for the POS business
Drafting a business plan might not be compulsory, but it would guide you toward maximizing success for your business. The POS business plan should clearly show your objectives and aims. This will help you estimate the actual cost you will incur to start the POS business.
4. Get the initial working capital
As I stated earlier, the capital for starting a POS business with Access bank is usually N50,000. Aside from that, calculate other items you might purchase such as the POS machine. You should also include the rent for the space or shop you intend to use for your business.
6. Apply for a merchant account with Access bank
You are required to provide some basic requirements when applying for a merchant account with Access bank. Some of them include a tax identification number, residential address, business registration documents, etc.
The application process can be done online or in person at any Access bank branch. It is straightforward and you can seek the help of a customer care representative if you encounter any issues. After providing all the requirements and completing the application, the next step is to submit it. After submitting your application, you should wait for a response on the status of your application. It usually takes about 2-10 working days for the team to verify your information and get back to you on the status of your application.
7. Receive your POS terminal
When your application gets approved, the next step is to get your POS terminal and your merchant account details. You are required to set up the POS terminal which is quite easy. You simply have to unwrap the terminal, plug it in, and that’s it!
Most POS terminals are designed to be straightforward and user-friendly allowing you to easily process transactions effectively. You can begin using it to perform transactions such as accepting credit and debit cards payment, cash payments, etc.
8. Promote your POS business
After successfully starting your point of Sale (POS) business, the next step is to market your services to attract customers. Promoting your business is effective for the success of the POS business. One of the most popular and effective ways to promote your POS business is by offering new and existing customers amazing discounts or promotions. Aside from that, you can leverage social media to gain a wider audience for your business. You can also collaborate with other businesses i.e. shopping centers, this can help increase visibility and get more customers for your POS business.
9. Build a good relationship with Access bank
To be able to leverage Access bank’s resources and services, we advise that you build a good relationship with the bank. Some of these resources and services include; Access to training, financial support, developmental programs, etc. These resources can help you run and build your POS business.
That’s it! Above are the steps involved in starting a POS business with Access bank. Read it carefully and begin your process towards building a rewarding POS business.
Requirements For Starting a POS Business With Access Bank
Below are some of the requirements for starting a POS business with Access bank;
- You need to provide a means of identification such as a driver’s license, National ID card, voter’s card, international passport, etc
- You are required to provide proof of address such as a Utility bill.
- Depending on the sort of POS business you are venturing into, you might be required to provide proof of insurance for your equipment.
- You might also be required to provide financial statements such as your income statements, balance sheet, etc.
- You will need to provide photographs or a lease agreement of the premises you intend to set up your POS business.
- You will be required to sign an agreement with Access bank as a Merchant. Also, you should provide all the necessary documents that were required.
- You will need to ensure that your POS business will comply with all the relevant rules and regulations.
- You should also provide your Tax Identification Number (TIN)
- Additionally, you may be required to provide a business plan that outlines how you intend to run your POS business.
Those are some of the basic requirements for starting a POS business with Access bank. However, you should note that the requirements may vary depending on the location, the type of POS business, and other determining factors. Therefore, it is best to visit the nearest Access bank branch in your location for the exact requirements specified for the type of POS business you are building.
Benefits of Setting Up A POS Business With Access Bank
There are several benefits of setting up a POS business with Access bank, including;
- Access bank offers POS agents a secured and reliable payment processing system
- You are granted a 24/7 customer support
- When you start a POS business with Access bank, you will have access to a wide range of analytics and reporting tools. These tools can be used to track and manage sales.
- Access bank offers different variety of card payment processes and POS terminals
- You can process a wide range of payment types, this includes; mobile wallets, transfers, and credit and debit cards, among others
- They offer excellent merchant discount rates
- The bank offers different customizable solutions for a variety of businesses
- They support prompt funds settlement.
- Another excellent reason to start your POS business with Access bank is to get access to the POS loan program they offer. The POS loan program is specifically for small and medium-sized businesses interested in starting a POS business. It is also given to businesses looking to expand their POS business.
A POS business can be rewarding and profitable. By understanding the above laid-out requirements for starting a POS business with Access bank and the steps involved on how to start a POS business with Access bank, you should be able to start a successful POS business. With good positioning and marketing strategy, you can take control of your business and lead it to success. Good luck!
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best banks in Nigeria to start a POS business with?
The best banks in Nigeria to start your POS business with include Access bank, GT bank, UBA, First Bank, etc.
How much can I borrow for my POS business with Access bank?
The amount you can borrow for your POS business with Access bank depends mainly on the income level of your business. When you apply for a POS loan, the bank assesses your application and determines the amount you are eligible to borrow.
What are the requirements for applying for a POS loan with Access bank?
The requirements for applying for a POS loan with Access bank include proof of income, business registration documents, bank statements, a good credit history, etc.