Why You Should Consider a Career in Finance- Finance is a vast profession. It includes everything from accounting to investment banking to analyzing risk and cost effectiveness. The opportunities are plentiful in finance, as this field covers virtually every industry and profession.
To be successful in this highly competitive field of study, you’ll need a lot of hard work. You’ll want to start by checking out the different careers in finance and the requirements for each position that you are interested in pursuing. Find the job that would best suit your personality and long-term goals so that you can make an informed decision about your career path.
Why You Should Consider a Career in Finance in Nigeria
Here are reasons why you should consider a career in finance in Nigeria:
1. Flexible schedules:
Schedules in finance are always in flux. Opportunities are available. Flexible schedules: Schedules in finance are always in flux. Opportunities are available for on-demand work, meaning those in finance can usually tailor their schedules around other obligations.
2. Room for growth:
Finance is an ever-changing landscape, with new technologies making the status quo obsolete. This means that it’s always possible to gain more experience and learn more about the industry, which will have a direct impact on your earnings potential.
3. Varying career paths:
In finance, you can work in the government sector, in commercial banking, or in the private equity industry. You can specialize in a particular area such as asset management, corporate finance, investment banking, or venture capital.
4. The salaries are good:
According to Glassdoor’s report on salary ranges by job title, employees with a bachelor’s degree and one-to-four years of experience who work as analysts make an average salary of $73K per year.
5. Good for those who enjoy numbers:
Finance majors have typically taken math and statistics courses during their undergraduate education; therefore, their undergraduate coursework is largely quantitative rather than qualitative. wide range of finance jobs available
In finance, it is very rare to find a job in which workers are out of a job or feel like they’re not contributing to society. For example, slightly more people work for finance than work on farms globally.
6. Finance is a very global industry:
There are many different financial markets, which have different regulations, economic cycles, and currencies.
The global economy is the most important asset in today’s economy. Finance has a role to play in managing this asset.
7. Finance involves both intellectual and artistic abilities:
One of the main jobs of a banker, for example, is to create orderly systems that help businesses survive financial shocks and keep them afloat in an ever-changing world. But at the same time, bankers need to read up on new technology trends.
The global financial crisis showed that being a banker requires more than just a good brain. It also requires technical skills.
Taking on a job in finance is different from working as an engineer or a doctor. ability to transfer skills from one job to another
Other reasons are:
- Career development is possible within one job.
- Enjoy a great work-life balance.
- Training and skill development are readily available.
- The sector promotes professional and personal growth.
- You will be a critical member of your team and the business. – You can earn a high salary with little training (as little as 3 months). – Work-life balance is excellent if you work for the right company.- There are numerous opportunities for advancement in Nigeria and abroad, ranging from project management to analyst, portfolio management to company director in some cases.
Where can you Work with a Finance Degree?
Places you can work with a finance degree are:
- Financial Analyst: This career is for someone who has strong number-crunching skills and a complete understanding of the economic conditions in today’s market.
- Investment banker: As one of the most sought-after employers, banks require candidates to have an MBA and work experience.
- Corporate Financial Analyst: A corporate financial analyst is a high-level position that requires excellent analytical skills.
- Financial Advisor: Candidates for this position are usually college graduates with a degree in finance or economics; some may also hold securities licenses.
- Investment Banking Analyst: Someone who has gone through an MBA program and wants to work in this field should consider banking as their perfect career choice.
- Accounting Analyst: As an accounting analyst, you will be expected to do a variety of tasks and make critical decisions.
- Credit Analyst: Think of this position as the financial watchdog who keeps track of all the investments and companies that people are dealing with.
- Tax Preparer: With a simple certification, you should be set to work as a tax preparer from home.
- Commercial Loan Reviewer: This person is responsible for reviewing every single loan application that comes in before giving it back to the commercial banks for consideration.
- Financial Consulting: Are you an analytical, creative person who has a knack for understanding and explaining the world of finance? Do you enjoy working in teams and solving complex problems? Financial consulting firms offer a wide range of job opportunities. You may work with high-net-worth clients, be involved in mergers and acquisitions, or help develop retirement strategies.
- Banking: Are you capable of analyzing and solving financial problems? Do you handle many tasks with the ability to prioritize and multi-task? Are you a disciplined worker who can balance a full-time job and household responsibilities?
- Tax Consulting: Tax consulting firms offer a wide range of job opportunities. You will be helping individuals with their individualized tax plans. You may assist high-net-worth clients with complex estate planning issues or work on international and domestic taxation material for small business owners.
- Securities Analysis: If you are interested in a career in investments and securities analysis, you need to understand the financial markets, understand how companies make money, and look at many different valuation methods.
The Advantages of a Finance Career in Nigeria
- It is a high-paying job that can be done from anywhere in the world.
- There are many ways to enter the field, including working for an investment bank, private equity fund, or hedge fund.
- The work typically involves analyzing risk and the return on investment. It can also include assisting in mergers and acquisitions.
- Finance careers provide varied work opportunities that offer flexibility to those who have families or other jobs they wish to maintain simultaneously.
- The opportunity for advancement is high given the number of international finance companies expanding into emerging markets such as Nigeria. You will have increased opportunities for promotion and growth depending on your capabilities and level of experience.
- Finance jobs, in general, offer the best opportunity to diversify or spread your risk across the most markets and assets.
- It is a career that is less affected by the recession and other market factors.
- The demand for financial services has never been higher, which means there is a strong possibility that a career in finance remains unaffected by economic cycles.
- Nigeria, as an emerging economy, offers many opportunities for those who want to work in the sector. It is estimated that Nigeria will become one of Africa’s largest economies in the next decade due to its large population and rapidly growing middle class. This creates growth opportunities for various sectors, including those involved in financial services such as banking and insurance companies.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should you choose finance?
A career in finance presents one of the best opportunities to work in international markets. Moving from culture to culture, you develop the flexibility to work with a broad range of clients and colleagues, across geographies and industries.
What attracted you to a career in finance?
Why choose finance: The jobs are exciting, challenging & fast-paced. The finance industry runs at an exhilarating pace and as a finance candidate, you must enjoy keeping up with the faster pace of work. Lots of people who work in the finance industry enjoy the many challenges that they face on a daily basis.