Why You Should Consider A Career in Psychology- Psychology is a study of behavior of humans and mental processes. It is a field that involves a lot of research and analysis and interpret the thoughts, feelings and actions of people. You will learn some interesting topics like memory, reasoning, consciousness, human behavior, etc. In this article, we will discuss in detail the benefits of pursuing a career in psychology.
Why Consider A Career In Psychology
Psychology is a subject that deals with the study of human mind and behavior. Psychologist examines the function and human behavior, environment & behavior , etc. Psychology is categorized into Cognitive, Forensic, Social and developmental Psychology.
These are some of the reasons you should go for a career in Psychology:
- Great job prospects
- You get to have a unique perspective of life
- You will be able to build a professional network
- You will be building important skills
- Your social skill is boosted
- You have opportunity to choose from a variety of course options
- You will acquire critical transferrable skill
- You get to learn about a diverse field
- You get to pursue interdisciplinary studies
1. Great job prospects
Psychologists are in hot demand from employers in various industries. This is because Psychologists have a lot of transferrable skills which they acquire while studying. Some of the jobs you could get with a career in Psychology includes:
- Social worker
- Research Scientist
- School counselor
2. You get to have a unique perspective of life
With a career in Psychology, you would have a unique perspective of life. You learn to better understand yourself and others too. You will learn how to manage relationships and also reach out for your goal in life.
3. You will be able to build a professional network
While studying, you get to meet people of similar interests (students and professors). Such relationships can be useful when its time to get a job or need some recommendation, etc.
4. You will learn the history and present state of psychology
While pursuing a career in Psychology, its history and purpose and current role in the society. You get to learn from professors who are well-versed in different aspects of Psychology.
5. You will be building important skills
As you pursue a career in Psychology, you will acquire a lot of vital skills that will make you relevant in your career and life generally. Some of the skills include:
- Customer service
- Positive thinking
6. Your social skills is boosted
With a career in Psychology, you will get to understand how human mind works. You will learn how to effectively relate and communicate with people. In short, your interpersonal and communication skills are boosted in a great way. These two skills are of great advantage for you to perform effectively in the workplace.
7. You have opportunity to choose from a variety of course options
It is not compulsory for you to study psychology straight up, you can combine with some other discipline such as :
- Computer Science
- Biology, etc.
This would widen your choice of jobs and increase your employability.
8. You get to understand yourself and others better.
Psychology involves the study of human behavior and mind. Having a career in Psychology will help you to be able to understand yourself and others. This will enhance your skills in communication, negotiation, conflict management, etc.
9. You will acquire critical transferable skill
When you choose and follow a career in Psychology, you acquire a number of transferable skills. These skills will be useful to you on your job and also in life generally.
Some of the skills include :
- Critical thinking
- Data Interpretation
- Time management
- Numerical skills
10. You get to learn about a diverse field
Psychology has different specializations and overlaps with fields like law, health care and sports. Below are concentrations of Psychology you can pursue in college whether for undergraduate or post-graduate studies:
11. You get to pursue interdisciplinary studies
You can study Psychology along with one or more other subjects to get interdisciplinary and total education. Below are some degrees you can pursue along with Psychology. These include:
- Health Science
- Criminal justices, etc.
12. You work in a role that touches people’s lives through your job roles.
You will help people heal emotional wounds, overcome challenges, break bad habits, understand themselves, etc. If you are a person with passion to help others, you should consider a career in Psychology .
Job Opportunities For Those With Career In Psychology
With a degree in Psychology, you can work in the following roles:
- Social worker
- Educational psychologist
- Human resource manager
A Psychologist is a professional in mental health. Some of the skills required to function as a psychologist include the following:
- Emotional stability
- Commitment to learning
Job Roles Of A Psychologist
- Diagnose and treat mental and emotional behavior disorders
- Carry out assessment on patient and recommend necessary treatment
- Carry case management tasks
Requirement To Work As A Psychologist
- Bachelor degree in Psychology
- Go for higher degree
2. Social Worker
This is another career in Psychology. As a social worker, you will help individuals and families solve their problems by providing support, advice to solve their problems.
Roles Of A Social Worker
- Visit clients to assess their needs
- Arrange for proper care and resources needed
Requirement To Be A Social Worker
- Bachelor degree in related field
- Required skills: problem solving, communication, analytical, patient, team spirit
A counselor is a trained professional that assist people with emotion , personality or mental issues. It is a good career in Psychology.
Roles Of A Counselor
- Assess the mental health of a patient through interviews and conversations.
- Diagnose patient with mental and emotional issues
- Work with patients to develop treatment plan for patients
- Educate patient on how to handle stress and other life’s situation.
Skills Needed To Be A Counselor
- Oral and written communication skills
- Organizational skills
- Patience and empathy
- Team spirit
- Knowledge of current development and research in mental health
How To Become A Counselor
- Degree in Psychotherapy or related field
- Go for internship
- Get relevant license or certification
- Choose a specialty
- Get a job
- Be committed to continuous learning
Psychotherapists are trained mental health professionals . They diagnose behaviours and mental disorders. They use talk therapy to help their patients get out of emotional /mental imbalance.
How To Become A Psychotherapist
- Get a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology or related field.
- Get a Master’s degree in Psychotherapy
- Go for internship
- Get relevant license/ certification
5. Educational Psychologist
They are trained professionals that use their understanding of learning habits and retention strategies to create teaching methods that will help in improving students’ learning . They work with students having learning difficulties.
Job Roles Of An Educational Psychologist
- They form collaboration with students, teachers and parents to create alternative teaching practice that will enhance learning.
- Train educators to identify learning disabilities in their students
- Diagnose learning disabilities, developmental disorder and behavioral conditions
How To Become An Educational Psychologist
- Get a bachelor’s degree in Psychology
- Get higher degree, M.Sc, PhD
- Get relevant certifications
Skills needed include communication, public speaking , attention to details , Empathy, Data analysis
Having a career in Psychology helps you understand yourself and others. You will get to know why people behave the way they do. Moreso, Psychologists are in high demand all over the world, so getting employment after graduation is not an issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the subjects required in order to study psychology ?
There are really no particular subjects required in order to study Psychology. However, a good background of Biology /life science will come in handy because Psychology has a lot do with human brain & sensory system.
Where can a psychologist work?
As a psychologist, you can practice on your own attending to patients & clients. You can also work in health care facility as part of a team in medical school , rehabilitation facilities, hospitals, community health centres, etc.
How long does it take to study Psychology?
To obtain a B.Sc in Psychology requires about 4 years.
What is the difference between a Psychologists and Psychiatrists?
- Psychiatrists are medical professional while psychologists are not
- Psychiatrists are licensed to prescribe drugs, psychologists cannot
- Psychiatrists diagnose and manage illness using different kind of therapies (including drugs) while Psychologist provide treatment through psychotherapy ( talk therapy).
- www. topuniversities. com – What can you do with a Psychology degree
- www. yourhealthinmind. org – Psychiatrists & Psychology: Whats the difference
- www. isc. Cardiff. ac. uk – 5 Benefits of studying Psychology
- www. indeed. com – 14 Reasons to earn a Psychology degree (And why it is important)