How to Find Data Science Jobs in Nigeria – Companies all around the globe have always gathered and analyzed data concerning their customers to render better service and to improve their bottom lines. In the present era of digital world, we are able to get huge amounts of data, which does not require traditional data processing methods and software.
Who is a Data Scientist?
A data scientist is an IT professional who is saddled with the responsibilities of analyzing and interpreting data. They utilize their data science skills to help organizations make better decisions and improve their operations. Data scientists are so much linked to strong background in mathematics, statistics, and computer science.
Data Science Required Skill / Qualifications in Nigeria
To become a successful data scientist in Nigeria and beyond, there are some skills and qualifications that are required you will need to obtain to become an eligible and certified data scientist in Nigeria. These are the skills that you need to become a well-paid data scientist:
Required Technical skills include;
- Statistics method and packaging (SPSS)
- SAS language
- Data warehousing and business intelligence platforms
- SQL database and data querying platforms
- Database design
- Data cleaning & munging
- Data visualization & reporting technique
- Working knowledge of Hadoop and MapReduce
- Machine learning technique
- Business skills
- Analytic problem-solving skills
- Effective communication
- Creative thinking
- Industry knowledge
How to Find Data Science Jobs in Nigeria
To Find Data science job opportunities in Nigeria, you should make sure you have the required qualifications and skills , added qualifications makes you stand out from the crowd. Here is how you can find data science jobs in Nigeria;
1. By Visiting Big Online Job Boards
The job category of sites like Indeed, LinkedIn , Glassdoor , etc. are in the list of some of the first places that come to the mind of many when it comes to Data science jobs in Nigeria, and they offer a wide range of usage advantages over other sources including:
- They list a good number of job opportunities.
- They come with an “Easy Apply” option that offers users opportunities to send credentials quickly.
2. Visit Data Science Job Boards and You can also visit the Company’s Websites
Medium-sized industry job boards and job postings on company websites are often better options when compared to the global jobs sites (example is Indeed). But regardless, it is worth recalling that here, you are in a tight competition as a lot of competition will be witnessed. On a famous data science job board, for instance, an applicant will most likely be competing with fewer applicants, but he or she will still be up against many other competitors who are applying to the entry-level jobs, and possibly these applicant are most likely to be well-qualified.
A company’s website is a sure place to find and apply for data science jobs in Nigeria, but it may be difficult to determine how current job postings are (and it is not every establishment that keep their websites always up to date).If it is possible, you should probably try reaching out to the company’s HR director, hiring manager, or you can get in contact with their data science team leader prior to submitting your application.
3. Build Networks
Most job seekers only check for jobs via different online job boards because it is convenient for them. But if you want to drastically boost your chances of success, you may be better off considered if you take a much more personal approach of networking. Networking with people who are in your field makes you more aware of the requirements, better data science jobs and how you can get access to them. It is not just about applying, your network may even have good connection that will give you an upper hand.
4. Reach Out To The Companies Via Email
If you happened not to find the right job opportunity on LinkedIn, you can always invest the same energy by reaching out via email, send emails to different companies as one or more may fall on your path. Many industries, particularly recruiters, have their company emails accessible publicly on the company’s website or when you visit their social accounts. If you did not find an email address, make use of these online tools : Hunter.io and VoilaNorbert as they are great for getting details about employee email accounts as far as you know the name of the company and their company’s URL.
5. Attend Meet-ups and Events
Going to different Data science and tech industry Meet-ups and events in Nigeria can be a great way to get in connection with other people in the career community, network, and possibly get a suiting job. Most times, the hosts will inquire from the audience, they may ask “who’s hiring?” so that an applicant can easily mark the folks with whom they should be trying to communicate with. In fact, Meet-ups is actually in the list of the best places that you should find data science jobs
6. Attend Conferences and Make Sure to Get Contacts
Conferences offers a dual career opportunity, according to Olivia Group CEO Olivia Parr-Rud, this has been attributed to the said reasob “not only can you acquire knowledge but you can network with people. Usually that’s the best way to gain an advantage for a job position.”
Platforms to Find Data Science Jobs in Nigeria
Here is list of some of the places you can apply for data science jobs in Nigeria, the digital economy has made Data science jobs even more lucrative and you don’t just mind applying over and over again until you gain placement. Below are the platforms you can utilize to apply for Data science jobs in Nigeria;
- Amazon Jobs
- Analytics Jobs
- Analytics Vidhya
- Big Data Jobs
- Big Data Jobs Board
- Built In
- Data Elixir
- Data Science Report
- Digital Analytics Association
- Job Search Digest
- Smith Hanley Associates
Some of the Big Data & Data Analytics Certifications
To become a certified data scientist, there are list of some data science certificate courses you can enroll into if you want to become certified. Here is a list of data science certificate course:
- Analytics – Optimizing Big Data Certificate
- Certificate in Engineering Excellence
- Big Data Analytics & Optimization (CPEE)
- Certification of Professional
- Achievement in Data Sciences
- Certified Analytics Professional
- Cloudera Certified Associate (CCA) Administrator
- Cloudera Certified Associate (CCA) Data Analyst
- Cloudera Certified Associate (CCA)
- Spark & Hadoop Developer
- Cloudera Certified Professional (CCP) – Data Engineer
- EMC Proven Professional Data Scientist Associate (EMCDSA)
- IBM Certified Data Architect : Big Data
- IBM Certified Data Engineer : Big Data
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) _Data Management & Analytics
- Mining Massive Data Sets Graduate Certificate
- MongoDB Certified DBA Associate
- MongoDB Certified Developer Associate
- Oracle Business Intelligence
- Foundation Suite 11 Certified Implementation Specialist
- SAS Certified Big Data Professional
- SAS Certified Data Scientist with SAS 9
- Stanford Data Mining & Applications Graduate Certificate.
Data Scientist utilize their data science skills to help organizations make better decisions and improve their operations. They are so much linked to strong background in mathematics, statistics, and computer science and it is a very Lucrative career path to consider , both for the present and for the future.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are data scientists in demand in Nigeria?
The demand for data scientists in Nigeria and in other countries is on the increase because of the data scientist role in the job of the 21st century
How much do data scientist make in Nigeria?
The estimated total salary for a Data Scientist is NGN 1,450,000 in the Lagos area, with an average salary of up to NGN 250,000 per month.
Can I study data science in Nigeria?
Data science is a nascent area in Nigeria. And no Nigerian university or polytechnic offers degree-courses in data science currently.
Which country is best for data scientist?
The best countries that provide top education in data science include the USA, UK, Canada, France, Australia, New Zealand
How much does an entry level data scientist make at Google?
$120,000 per year