How to start vlogging with a phone — Have you been looking to start vlogging using your phone? Apparently, you are not alone. A lot of people have been asking if they can start vlogging with their smartphones. Yes, you can start vlogging using just your phone and some other equipment like a tripod, it doesn’t have to be complicated.
Vlogging is a popular way of sharing content in form of videos. It is an amazing way of connecting with an audience and building your brand around a particular niche. Contrary to what you might have heard, you don’t need some fancy gadget or equipment to start vlogging — in fact, the main thing you need is your phone. In this article, we bring you a comprehensive guide on how to start vlogging with a phone. Read on.
Steps On How To Start Vlogging With Phone
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to start vlogging with a phone;
1. Choose the right phone
The first step when planning to start a vlog with a phone is to choose the right phone. While any smartphone could be used to record videos, there are better ones that give the best results. This implies that the type of phone you use for vlogging has a huge role to play in the success of your project. We advise that when selecting a phone, you choose a phone that has a high-quality camera, enough storage space, and good battery life.
Below is a list of some of the phones we recommend vlogging on.
- Samsung Galaxy S21
- iPhone 12
- Google Pixel 5
- Google Pixel 6 and 6 pro
- Samsung Galaxy A53
- Xiaomi 12 pro
- Vivo X80 pro
- iPhone 12 pro
- iPhone 13 pro-Max
- iPhone 13 Pro
- Samsung S22 Ultra, and more.
Note; The above is a list of smartphones with good reviews from users who have used them for vlogging. Of course, the list is not limited. You should conduct proper research and select the best phone that suits your needs and budget.
2. Acquire the basic vlogging tools
In addition to your phone, some basic tools are prerequisites for succeeding as a Vlogger. Some of these tools include lighting equipment (ring light), microphone, tripod or phone mount, etc. Each piece of equipment has a vital role to play during video production. The microphone is used mainly to ensure clear audio, and the light equipment is used for providing proper and good lighting. While the tripod or phone mountains are used to keep the recording device (in this case your phone) steady. Some examples of these basic vlogging tools include; Rode VideoMic Go, Joby GripTight, ONE GorillaPod, etc.
3. Identify the niche to vlog on
There are numerous vloggers creating video content and every day the number keeps raising. Therefore to succeed in this field, you need to identify your niche and be good at it. To do this, you can start by drafting down your hobbies and interests.
You could also research the current trends in vlogging platforms (such as Youtube, TikTok, etc) and choose an area that interests you. This will help you get different ideas on what people are currently interested in and create something related to them or provide solutions. Identifying a niche is vital, especially if you intend to reach a wider audience, grow your brand, and monetize your vlog.
4. Decide on a vlog format
There are different types of vlogs and to be a successful Vlogger, you need to understand them and stick to a particular vlog format. The major types of vlog formats include;
- Demonstrative: Also called how-to videos are a form of vlogging aimed at demonstrating how an action or task is carried to the audience. The Vlogger mainly explains how to use a product, perform an action, and more. Examples of demonstrative videos include make-up tutorials, cooking tutorials, unboxing videos, etc.
- Informational; Informational vlogs also called head vlogs, involves discussing a particular topic with your audience. The person sits in front of a camera and provides details about one topic.
- Reality; Reality vlogs are vlogs that are created in real-life settings, they are done outside the walls of a studio. Examples include a travel vlog.
5. Write a good script
After deciding on a vlog format, the next step is to create a good script. Before you begin filming, it is vital to have an engaging script in place. You should also practice the script and learn how to deliver it naturally when facing a camera. Practicing the script will prevent you from parting away from the topic and make you appear professional.
6. Sign up on a right platform
Yes, YouTube is the top and most popular platform used for vlogging currently. However, there are actually several other platforms that you can use for vlogging with diverse audiences. These platforms include Metacafe, Veoh, Vimeo, Dailymotion, and Tiktok – all these are great platforms to upload your video content. Meanwhile, YouTube is, however, one of the most vital vlogging platforms that boasts more than a billion users.
7. Get ready for filming
After acquiring your phone and other required tools, it is time to prepare for filming. Select a location that has an appealing background and supports good lighting. Ensure that you place the camera at the right angle, and keep your face at a considerable distance from the camera. You should also use a good microphone to achieve clear and proper audio. Additionally, ensure to set your phone’s focus and exposure settings. This will help keep your video looking good and professional.
Tips to adopt when setting up for filming;
- Ensure your phone is in airplane mode or turned off to avoid any form of distractions.
- Get acquitted with the platform you intend to create videos for. Are you generating content for TikTok or YouTube? Get oriented properly on how to navigate the platforms.
- Before filming, you should first test the record. This will help ensure that everything is set and working properly for the actual recording.
- To avoid straining your voice when speaking, you should consider using an external microphone. We recommend a wireless mic for better results.
- Ensure to use proper lighting when creating your videos. You can create your light using lighting equipment or find good natural lighting. There are different options for acquiring lighting such as torch lights, ring lights, etc.
9. Adopt the right filming techniques
After acquiring all the required tools and placing everything in place, the next step is to begin filming. However, you need to adopt the right filming techniques to generate quality content. You should consider trying out varying types of shots to make your video interesting, such as wide shots, close-ups, etc. You should also ensure to capture a lot of B-roll footage, these are useful during video edits. Also, to ensure your video looks professional, you should utilize smooth camera techniques.
10. Properly edit your video
After filming your video, the next step is to edit the video to make it clearer, professional, and worth viewing. It is important to choose a good and easy-to-use video editing app. Numerous free and budget-friendly video editing apps are compatible with smartphones. These apps include;
- Adobe Premiere Rush
- Fx- Guru
- Cinema FV-5
- iMovie, etc.
You can use the above apps to trim your videos, design a captivating thumbnail image, add music and sound effects to your footage, etc.
Starting a vlog with your phone is an affordable way of venturing into the Vlogging world. Above is a guide on how to can start Vlogging with a phone. By following the laid-down steps above, you can generate quality videos that help you connect with your audience, express your perspectives, and build a successful vlogging career.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some tips for successful vlogging with a phone?
To be successful as a Vlogger, you need to be consistent. Create a schedule to be dropping new videos and stick to it. You should also create meaningful relationships with your audience by always responding to their questions and comments. Most importantly, ensure to optimize your videos using the keywords and tags.
Why should I start vlogging with my phone?
Starting vlogging using your phone is an excellent way to start video creation without having to purchase expensive equipment. Additionally, modern smartphones are built with amazing cameras that can be excellent for vlogging.
Where should I share my vlog?
You can share your vlog on different social media platforms, such as YouTube, TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, etc. Ensure to add relevant keywords, be consistent, and constantly engage with your viewers to grow your audience.
What kind of content should I create on my vlog?
The kind of content you create on your vlog depends majorly on you. Meanwhile, some of the popular vlog topics include food, travel, lifestyle, beauty, personal experiences, and more.
How do I edit my vlog on my phone?
Most modern smartphones are designed with a built-in video editing app, you can use them to edit your videos. You could also install third-party editing apps, such as iMovie. Ensure to keep your vlog visually appealing, engaging, and clear.
- blog.pivo.ai — How to vlog with your phone
- thehindubusinessline — A guide to becoming a Vlogger using just your smartphone.
- Makeuseof.com — 8 things you need to start vlogging on your smartphone
- iamlesliesamuel — 5 secrets to creating a better vlog with your smartphone